Episode 35: From the Archives: Dunayevskaya on the Independence of the Black Struggle from the “General Class Struggle”The co-hosts discuss notes made by Raya Dunayevskaya in preparation for a 1946 debate with Ernest Rice McKinney. He argued that class oppression is “primary” while racial oppression is “secondary”––a view that has resurfaced in recent years in Jacobin magazine and elsewhere)––and he opposed an independent Black movement distinct from the “labor movement.” Dunayevskaya sharply disagreed.
The episode’s current-events segment is a discussion of the implications of the failed Capitol Insurrection by Trumpites and other white nationalists.
Radio Free Humanity is co-hosted by Brendan Cooney and Andrew Kliman, and sponsored by Marxist-Humanist Initiative (https://www.marxisthumanistinitiative.org/ ).
WHAT IS RADIO FREE HUMANITY?
Radio Free Humanity is a podcast covering news, politics and philosophy from a Marxist-Humanist perspective. It is co-hosted by Brendan Cooney and Andrew Kliman. We intend to release new episodes every two weeks. Radio Free Humanity is sponsored by MHI, but the views expressed by the co-hosts and guests of Radio Free Humanity are their own. They do not necessarily reflect the views and positions of MHI.
All Episodes of Radio Free Humanity
- Episode 35: Dunayevskaya on the Independence of the Black Struggle from the “General Class Struggle” (1/23/2021)
- Episode 34: Dunayevskaya on the “Vulgarization of Marxism” and Russian State-Capitalism (1/9/2021)
- Episode 33: Alternatives to Capitalism: What Happens After the Revolution? (12/18/2020)
- Episode 32: Making Marx Make Sense: The Early Years (12/5/2020)
- Episode 31: Marx’s Crisis Theory: New Spanish Defense (11/20/2020)
- Episode 30: Use-Value and Exchange-Value … and Value (11/7/2020)
- Episode 29: Kenya’s Response to COVID-19 (contrasted to that of Trumpist USA) (10/24/2020)
- Episode 28: Lebanon’s Protest Movement Since the Beirut Explosion (10/10/2020)
- Episode 27: Reading “American Civilization on Trial” in Costa Rica (9/26/2020)
- Episode 26: Dialogue with Patrick Murray on the Value-Form Paradigm, Part 2 (9/13/2020)
- Episode 25: Dialogue with Patrick Murray on the Value-Form Paradigm, Part 1 (8/29/2020)
- Episode 24: Combating Tankie Denialism: Specialist in Soviet History Rebuts Grover Furr (8/14/2020)
- Episode 23: The Rise of the Extreme Right in Europe (7/31/2020)
- Episode 22: A Post-Capitalist Future––Not by Politics Alone (7/17/2020)
- Episode 21: Consigned to the Jaco-dustbin of History (7/3/2020)
- Episode 20: Cockshott versus Marx––Interview with “RV” (6/19/2020)
- Episode 19: Spanish Edition of “Reclaiming Marx’s ‘Capital’”––Interview with Translator (6/5/2020)
- Episode 18: The Value-Form Paradigm vs. Marx’s “Capital,” Part 2 (5/22/2020)
- Episode 17: The Value-Form Paradigm vs. Marx’s “Capital,” Part 1 (5/8/2020)
- Episode 16: Dunayevskaya’s Life and & Legacy––Interview with Anne Jaclard (4/24/2020)
- Episode 15: Dunayevskaya’s Revolutionary Interpretation of Hegel’s Dialectical Philosophy (4/12/2020)
- Episode 14: The New Game-Changing Inequality Database (3/28/2020)
- Episode 13: The Tankie Craze, Part 2—Disillusioned Radical Youth Fighting Stalinism (3/13/2020)
- Episode 12: Inequality of Wealth in the U.S. (2/28/2020)
- Episode 11: Defending, and Transcending, Liberal Democracy (2/14/2020)
- Episode 10: Marx’s “Critique of the Gotha Program” (2/1/2020)
- Episode 9: The Tankie Craze––Resurgent Stalinism among Youth (1/17/2020)
- Episode 8: A Long Journey From Marxists to Marx, Part 2 (1/3/2020)
- Episode 7: Implications of the UK Elections (12/20/2019)
- Episode 6: The Uprising in Lebanon (12/6/2019)
- Episode 5: A Long Journey From Marxists to Marx, Part 1 (11/22/2019)
- Episode 4: Green New Deal–Interview with Brendan Cooney (11/8/2019)
- Episode 3: Brexit-Interview with Chris Gilligan (10/25/2019)
- Episode 2: Fighting White Nationalism (10/11/2019)
- Episode 1: Obama-Trump Voters (9/26/2019)